Saturday, January 18, 2014

How Religion Can Help My Running??

I saw this and am going to try to follow it as closely as I can as I continue my running journey


I grew up Catholic and know the 10 Commandments well and feel like they are ingrained in the way I like to live my life. Who knew I would bring a whole new set of commandments into my running life!?

I am really hard on myself. Like REALLY hard on myself. Maybe it's because I still can't believe that I am actually a runner or it's because I have been forever insecure and don't like to fail at things. The first Commandment really resonated with me. It describes me exactly. I am constantly comparing how slow I am to any runner I hear about. I will read a blog, look on Instagram or talk to friends and always feel discouraged because 9 times out of 10, I am slower. I'm not sure why it matters so much to me but I am like this in many things in my life -work, school etc. I have to change this attitude if I really want to move forward, let go and enjoy this journey. WHO CARES what everyone else's running journey is! This  is YOUR journey! No one else's! This should be my new mantra.



As long as I see progress that is all that should matter. I'm here to improve myself. ME! 

I hadn't been posting times because to be honest I was embarrassed at the slow times I have been producing. But this blog started out as a journal for me to keep track of my progress AND then it became a way to inspire others. And what better way to inspire others than to show how I handle my imperfections. 



Since starting this training I have definitely seen progress so I need to celebrate that. Each week I am building more endurance, strength and speed. This goes for my Yoga journey as well. I can't believe some of the poses I can do now that I never thought were possible. I am slowly becoming a better version of me and that's all I can ask for : )

All the other Commandments are pretty easy for me to follow but they are a good reminder.

I still can't believe I am running and doing yoga on a regular basis. I have never been an athlete. I was always a skinny, weak little girl with no fitness ambition. I am more fit in my 40's than I have ever been in my life. I sure am glad I decided to start. You have to start somewhere.... : )


No comments:

Post a Comment