Wednesday, May 22, 2013

A much needed attitude adjustment and LSD (Long Slow Distance) run report

Let me start by saying that I am truly my own worst enemy! I really do need to celebrate my accomplishments more. That can be my new goal!

LSD report card as written by Negative Mel:

Sunday morning had a long slow 10k on the schedule. Hubby and I stayed up late watching a movie (Lawless - was quite violent!) so we didn't get up til 8:30. I usually wake up at 7:30 on the weekends unless our 2 cats decide to pretend our bed and backs are a jungle gym. We got up and had a banana, peanut butter on toast and some power bar jellies.  I am still struggling with breakfast. I have never been a breakfast person even though I know it is important. I don't mind bananas as long as they are not too ripe but I find peanut butter gross. I gave it a chance though. I know I am going to need to figure out a breakfast routine for early morning long run days.. sigh. Still working on it.

We warmed up and off we went. In my mind I told myself "ok Mel this is going to be a great run, you are going to love every step!" Too much pressure I think. It actually started off well. We did the usual loop of our neighbourhood. We are fortunate enough to live in Steveston so our hood is beautiful.  The first 6k were really good but then a 50 year old lady passed us and it went downhill from there. Nothing against her at all but I just felt so defeated. She was amazing and fit but I just got so mad at myself for not being able to keep up with her. I got grumpier as I watched her fade into the distance.

The next 4k were not fun. I felt really gassed like I was breathing way too hard for how slow I was going. Frustrating! We do 10:1's for our running and the next walk break could never come soon enough. Anyways we finished but I did not feel great and had nothing left to push hard at the end.

Total distance: 10k
Total time: 1:11
Average Pace: 7:09

I complained my hubby's ear off about how slow I felt and why can't I get faster!? Such a whiner! He is so positive and tries to make me see the good things but I am too stubborn for my own good!

Sheesh let it go Mel!!

LSD report card as written by the new positive Mel:

We woke up on Sunday morning to a beautiful day feeling lucky to be alive! I had a delicious breakfast to fuel my body and off we went!

The run was beautiful! We are so lucky to live where we do! On our run we saw a pack of the 6 cutest dogs out for a walk with their dog walker, a baby eagle in a tree and some awesome fit older runners who totally inspired me!!

We completed the run and it felt amazing to accomplish that on a Sunday morning! Yay for us!! We ROCK!!

Our average pace was about 2 seconds faster than last weeks 10k. Not much but still an improvement! At least it's not slower. For the Running Room program they stress that the long runs should be on the slower side to build endurance and not worry about pace. They suggest 7:19 to 8:12 for this day so being at 7:09 we are laughing!

I am very proud to be where I am at with my running as I have come a very long way.



Okay so maybe a little exaggerated but you get the picture! ; ) It's all about attitude and I need an attitude adjustment!



The long road we run down about 3.5K total



Happy to be done 10K for the day

Me and the Hubs

1 comment: